- 2 raw beetroot, peeled, julienned
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar, warmed
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 hot dog sausages
- 1 cup (250mL) vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- 120 ml iced water
- 120 g plain flour, extra for dusting
- 4 hot dog bread rolls, split open
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons sliced spring onion
- 3 tablespoons Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise
In a medium bowl, add the white wine vinegar and caster sugar and mix well. Take the beetroot and cut into fine matchsticks. Place beetroot in the white wine vinegar mixture and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a medium sized deep frying pan over medium high heat.
Whisk together the egg and iced water in a medium sized bowl. Add the flour and whisk quickly until most of the flour is mixed through as the mixture should be lumpy. Take the sausages, one and a time and roll in the extra flour, tap off any excess.
Dip one sausage into the egg and flour batter. Add a small amount of the batter into the frying pan to check the oil is hot enough. If it starts to hiss and bubble, the oil is hot. Carefully add the battered hot dog to pan. Cook until the batter is crisp and golden. Remove from the oil. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside. Repeat until all hot dogs are battered.
Place battered hot dogs into the rolls. Remove beetroot from vinegar, drain well then place on top of hot dogs. Top with Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise, coriander and spring onion, to serve.